When I sit down to watch a show that I review, I never know what I’m going to write about until it’s over. As I perused my notes from tonight’s episode of Cougar Town, I knew it had to be the catch phrases, the one-liners, the references … call them what you will, but this episode rivaled Seinfeld in its memorable lines.
I’ll always think of sweatpants as being worn when you’ve given up, thanks to George Costanza. Now, there’s another phrase that means you’ve hit bottom: “I fought a bum for wine and I lost.” If you do that while wearing sweatpants, what does that say about you? Probably that the karma gods were doin’ their thing.
It’s OK, because there’s a new strong women’s battle cry to help you rally: “I have made fire,” appropriate to use when you carry five bags of groceries from your car in one trip, when you have folded three loads of laundry before the commercial break is over or when you singlehandedly mow the lawn while nursing your twins. Really ladies, there is nothing we can’t do. Say it with me: “I have made fire!”
The names and nicknames were plentiful and priceless:
- Lady J. Love Explosion — What’s your pimp name? I’m going with “Madam D-lite.”
- The Council — You know it had to be temporary, but funny it was.
- Lou Diamond Phillips — I know this is a real guy, who did a very funny cameo, but I love it when fictional characters get all starstruck over real people.
- Pancake — We needed a nickname for Big Kevin (wait — isn’t that a nickname?), or not really. What we really needed to see were the repeated tackles that Kevin inflicted upon Grayson.
- No punishment punishment — This was brilliant and would probably work on a lot of people besides Bobby. I loved when Lauire told him about the no punishment punishment and he didn’t get it, so she just made up the snake in the shorts thing.
- Bride of Unibomber — That was some excellent hair.
- Shark — It all makes sense now.
- Little Richard –In this context, not the same as the above Lou Diamond Phillips. In fact, it was much funnier in this context: “Damn you, Little Richard!” I’m hoping Little Richard shows up in subsequent episodes, because I have so loved seeing Big Carl make recurring appearances. Though he did get ousted by tonight’s vase of wine. …
- Land Boat — Is it gratuitous to toss that in here since it didn’t originate in this episode? I don’t care, I’m doing it anyway.
There were other fabulous moments too:
- the pimp cane
- buying two bottles of wine with your $20 weekend budget
- sumo wrestling in Jules’ towels with no underwear
- Grayson, jewelry artist
I suppose I’d get called out on it if I didn’t say anything about Travis’s failed proposal, but I don’t have much to say. It really couldn’t have gone any other way, and maybe it really is the haircut.
What was your favorite moment from tonight’s Cougar Town?
Photo Credit: ABC/MATT KENNEDY